Note: those new to Survey Tool development are recommended to use the much simpler Eclipse setup.
- Build the CLDR Tools using the command line (or using eclipse) to produce cldr.jar
- Download and install Tomcat somewhere. Verify that you can view pages from this server (such as at http://127.0.0.1:8080 ).
- Configure Manager access for a user
- Check out http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common somewhere. We will refer to this as "
- Check out http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/tools/cldr-apps
- Copy build-sample.properties to build.properties
- Uncomment/edit all of the MANDATORY and potentially other lines in build.properties as follows:
CATALINA_HOME to the root directory of your Tomcat installation
password ( and potentially
username if it is not 'admin' ) to match the "Manager access" user, above.
CLDR_TOOLS to the directory where the CLDR Tools are build (or at least to a directory containing cldr.jar)
- Set other lines according to the build.properties column of this table,
and copy those jars to Tomcat's
- To test compilation, run:
(If there are any failures, check build.properties)
"ant war" will build cldr-apps.war.
- Run (the first time):
If all goes well, it will install onto the server, as http://yourserver:8080/cldr-apps
- Test out the above URL (substituting your server's name or 127.0.0.1 and the port number)-
- If all goes well, you should see the page titled 'CLDR Web Applications'.
- Click on 'CLDR Survey Tool'
- You will get a message that states that CLDR_COMMON is not a directory. But at the top of the page, it says:
This means that "/home/srl/src/apache-tomcat-6.0.26/cldr" is your 'cldr-apps' work area.
- Welcome to SurveyTool@mobot. Please edit /home/srl/src/apache-tomcat-6.0.26/cldr/cldr.properties to change CLDR_HEADER (to change this message), or comment it out entirely.
cldr.properties text file. There are many "fun" things that can be set here (which should be described on another sub-page), but you should at least do the following:
Restart the server (or the servlet) and visit the cldr-apps URL again.
CLDR_COMMON to the path to your CLDR data checkout, above.
- comment out (with #)
- take note of
CLDR_VAP - this will be your "
admin@" (that is, master) password.
- The SurveyTool should start up normally.
- You can now login as the user
using the auto-generated password mentioned in
CLDR_VAP in the